The Coast to Coast Walk is a 192-mile (309 km) unofficial and mostly unsignposted long distance footpath in the North of England. Devised by Alfred Wainwright, it passes right through Shap and three contrasting National Parks inclucing the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors.
Shap is located about 1/3 of the way on the route (approximately day 4/5) and as the first port of call in the village, The New Ing Lodge is a welcome haven for the weary walker.
Here’s how to find your way for the last couple of miles on your day to Shap from west, a little help for a tired walker:
We offer accommodation in our 10 bedroom and 10 bathroom lodge for bed and breakfast guests as well as hostel guests. We also welcome campers. We have a bar with local beers on tap and a comfortable lounge with a roaring fire.
We serve evening meals and offer packed lunches both of which can be ordered on arrival. You can view our sample menu HERE.
We usually serve breakfast from 7 am until 8.30 am and offer a full English, full vegetarian, green eggs as well as salmon, avocado and egg on toast.
We have washing and drying facilities and we’ll be happy to do anything to help you enjoy your Coast to Coast adventure!
We take walk ins as well as pre-bookings, however, during peak times, New Ing Lodge becomes extremely busy as more people take on this amazing route, so it would be advisable to call ahead. You can view live availability on our BOOK NOW page.
If you would like to enquire more about booking a stay with us, please visit the BOOK NOW page.
We have collected frequently asked questions on New Ing Lodge and our facilities. Have a look at them HERE.
- Cannot speak too highly of this accommodation, extremely comfortable and run by a team of young people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Lots of the guests were completing the Coast to Coast which gave me some interesting conversations as I completed the walk some years ago. If you want luxury, go to The Ritz, if you want comfortable friendly accommodation with wholesome food, do not miss the lodge. Also made our dog welcome, she enjoyed her stay.John W. - TripAdvisor
- In celebration of my 30th birthday, we hired the full house for 22 friends for a weekend. New Ing Lodge exceeded all expectations - spacious yet cosy, fully equipped, great outside space, and help always at hand if we needed it. This fabulous property in a beautiful location was perfect for the occasion and we'll be back for future events.Luke K. - TripAdvisor
- Stayed here for a couple of nights and I must say that I would definately stay again!!! The room was lovely, food was amazing and Scott was very welcoming and friendly!! Would highly recommend for anyone looking to stay in the area to stay here!Toni M - Trip Advisor
- I needed to find a place that would hold 25 guys for my best friends stag do. We found this place and after a few emails the whole lodge was booked out for the weekend for a ridiculously low price. All anyone said all weekend was this place was absolutely perfect. From the bar area, where Scott and the guys ordered in a keg for us, to the rooms and the breakfast, everything was spot on. The guys were great, always quick to respond to emails and do what they can to make the stay as easy to organise and enjoyable as possible. I cannot recommend this place enough!!!Joe D- - TripAdvisor
- Hosts are very welcoming and extremely friendly. A comfortable and cosy stay for summer or winter. You won't be disappointed.Barry L. - Facebook
- Stayed for 3 nights as a family with a German shephard in a family room, spotless, large and comfortable to say the least. The staff can't help enough and the food is perfect! Log burner in the common room hits the spot every night. 100% recommend this place, amazing!Rachael H. - TripAdvisor